Your electrical system is one of the most important components in your home, but also one of the most dangerous. Frayed wires, loose connections and similar problems can crop up almost anywhere in your home, and the dry air in Fredericksburg, TX can make that worse. Without proper repairs, it could short out important appliances or even start a fire. Only a trained, licensed electrician should conduct repairs on your electrical system, but before that can begin, you need to notice that there’s a problem. The sooner you can spot signs of electrical trouble in your home, the more quickly a professional can get the issue fixed. Among the signs to watch for are the following:
- Hot Outlets. If an outlet is warmer than the surrounding wall, even if there’s nothing plugged in, there’s probably trouble with your wiring. In some cases, an outlet can get a little warm while it’s plugged in, but it should never be hot or painful to the touch.
- Dim or Flickering Lights. Lights that are dimmer than they should be, or which flicker when you turn them on, are likely receiving intermittent electricity. That means trouble somewhere in the wiring.
- Odd Noises. Malfunctioning electrical components may cause a low buzzing sound, which will usually stop when you cut power to the circuit.
- Tripped Breakers. If the breakers keep tripping on one particular circuit, you’ve likely overloaded that circuit. It may also be a problem with one or more appliances hooked up to it.
- Sparks. Sparks from any electrical outlet are serious trouble, and you should shut off power to the affected area immediately before calling in a technician. In some cases, the trouble may be with the appliance hooked up to the outlet.
Call D’Spain today to repair any electrical problems you may be experiencing!