We count on electricity for just about everything, which is one of the reasons why it’s so important to make sure that the wiring in your home is safe and effective. Because wiring is hidden in your walls, there isn’t any way to see the actual wiring and if there are any existing problems with it. To be able to tell, you need to look for some telltale signs of electrical problems in your Bandera home. The electrical experts at D’Spain Sales & Service, Inc., have put together a list of signs that can indicate you may need electrical wiring repair:
- Burned-out light bulbs – are you changing light bulbs in certain fixtures too frequently? The average light bulb should last about 6 months, so if you are changing bulbs far more frequently, you should call an electrician.
- Dimming – do your lights dim when another appliance is turned on? This can indicate that your electrical system becomes imbalanced from a power surge each time that appliance is turned on. These kinds of overloads can cause damage to other appliances so it’s important to have an electrician review the problem right away.
- Shocks from appliances – shocks from appliances are dangerous and usually indicate that an appliance is not properly grounded. All electrical appliances need to be grounded safely and correctly, so if you are getting a zap each time you use your coffee maker, call for assistance.
- Burning smell – burning smells are serious and should be treated as such. Burning smells indicate that an electrical outlet or wire has become too hot and has actually started to burn. If you smell burning from any kind of outlet or your electrical panel, call for help immediately.
- Charring/discoloration – if you see charring or discoloration around any kind of electrical outlet, do not use it and call for help. The charring indicates that a small fire has actually erupted and has left a mark.
- Constantly tripping breakers or fuses – fuses or breakers that won’t stay on can indicate several things, but they all add up to one thing: an electrical problem. Faulty fuses or breakers can be replaced, but if an appliance or system is drawing too much power, or there is something wrong with your electrical panel, it’s much better to allow an expert to detect and repair the problem.
Electrical problems do not improve with time and typically become worse. If you are in need of quality electrical services in Bandera, call D’Spain Sales & Service, Inc. today to schedule an appointment.