We often take for granted just how much our kitchen sinks endure on an everyday basis. Whether you use it for cleaning, drinking, dishes, or cooking, your kitchen sink gets a lot of use, which means that it’s going to require a bit of care.
Taking care of your kitchen sink doesn’t have to be a chore, especially if you read or handy dandy tips below! We have listed some of our favorite tips for ensuring that your kitchen sink works efficiently and effectively for years to come. So, what are you waiting for? Keep on reading!
Here’s What You Can Do
There are plenty of things that you can do to take care of your kitchen sink. Here are some of them:
1: Keep Troublesome Food Out of Your Drains
Far too many homeowners use their kitchen sinks to wash away unwanted leftovers, however, this can be quite problematic. There are a variety of food substances that should never make their way into your drains:
- Fats, oils, and grease: As these liquids cool and congeal, they can stick to the inside of your drain pipes, leading to major clogs and blockages.
- Fibrous foods: Cornhusks, celery stalks, and many fruits are quite fibrous, meaning that they can get caught and tangled up in your drain pipes.
- Pasta and Rice: The problem with rice and pasta is that they both tend to expand when they come into contact with water, causing clogs in your drains!
- Coffee grounds: Sure, coffee grounds may seem small and seemingly harmless, however, they often become trapped in materials like oils and grease.
2. Use Protective Drain Covers and Screens
If you are worried about food items making their way into your kitchen sink drains, consider purchasing a protective drain cover. Drain covers can be placed over any drain to prevent unwanted items from getting washed into your pipes.
3. Run Hot Water Down the Drain
Running hot water down your drain is a great way to deal with fats, oils, and grease. Hot water breaks down these substances and allows for better flow through the drains. Of course, though, you want to avoid fats, oils, and grease altogether!
4. Don’t Use Chemical Cleaners… Ever
We get it: store-bought drain cleaners can be tempting, especially if you are looking to resolve a clog quickly. However, the chemicals found in these drain cleaners are highly corrosive and can end up eating away at your pipes, leading to other problems, like leaks.
5. Schedule Annual Maintenance
Annual preventative maintenance is the best way to ensure that your plumbing system is in good working condition. During your maintenance visit, your plumber in Kerrville, TX will thoroughly inspect every inch of your plumbing system, including your kitchen sink, to help you avoid major plumbing disasters!
You can always contact a professional plumber if you are unsure about the ways to take care of your plumbing system. If you have any questions about your plumbing, a local professional will be happy to help.
To schedule your plumbing services, contact D’Spain Sales & Service today!