Technically, carbon monoxide poisoning can occur at any time, but there are far more instances of accidental CO poisoning during the winter months for two key reasons. First, you are likely operating a heating system and possibly using a fireplace. If your heating system is a combustion system, carbon monoxide is part of the combustion byproducts. Second, your home is shut down pretty tight with closed doors and windows, trapping in air that may be bad for you. While there are a number of safety controls placed on heating unit precisely to avoid problems like this, the issue remains that carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas that is completely undetectable to us. And this is why using a CO detector is so important.
What about a Plug-In CO Detector?
Yes, you can certainly use a simple CO detector that plugs into an outlet. But be aware that the coverage this type of stand-alone detector offers is minimal at best. This is because this type of carbon monoxide detector can only monitor the air in the small space it occupies. To get whole home coverage with a stand-alone CO detector, you would need to purchase one for every area of your home, including any basement or attic spaces.
Whole Home Protection
For more accurate and astute monitoring, you may want to consider a carbon monoxide detector that is hard-wired into your home’s electrical system. These kinds of CO detectors can be integrated into existing systems, like a home alarm, or they can be part of a combination, such as a fire alarm and CO detector. With whole home coverage, you don’t ever have to worry about a lack of detection should carbon monoxide appear in your home.
The electrical experts at D’Spain Sales & Service, Inc., want to see you and your family stay safe in Kerrville, TX. If you would like to know more about installing a whole home carbon monoxide detector, call us today!