Neglecting your air conditioner is never a good option. We know that nobody neglects their AC system on purpose, but it’s one of the most damaging things that can be done to an AC. We’d much rather be confronted with a malfunctioning air conditioner by a homeowner that’s confounded, than stumble upon a forgotten AC that’s really veering towards replacement much earlier than it should be.
Neglected systems, or systems that are ignored or forgotten about, tend to break down only in a few years. Well-maintained systems and units that are paid close attention can last upwards of 10-15 years in age because problems are promptly addressed.
This blog post is part PSA and part advice about how you can avoid neglecting your air conditioner, and what could happen if you do forget about your precious system. Don’t forget to schedule AC repair in Fair Oaks Ranch, TX if you encounter a problem!
How an Air Conditioner Gets Neglected
Neglect isn’t a problem like a clogged air filter or a broken component. It’s the regular wear and tear of a system that’s in need of maintenance or repairs but doesn’t receive it. Basically, if you haven’t thought about your air conditioner in a few years, no matter how well it’s functioning, it’s likely neglected. We understand, it’s been a difficult set of years and the condition of your air conditioner was probably at the bottom of your priority list.
However, the years of missed maintenance and ignored noises can add up to wear and tear that’s hard to repair. If you’ve got several problems inhibiting the efficiency and efficacy of your air conditioner, then there could be two possible outcomes that aren’t easily solved:
- Expensive repairs with some serious overhaul. It might take a lot of time and work to get your air conditioner working efficiently again. You might want to consult with an expert to see if it’s worth it.
- Early replacement. A neglected AC with struggling components and inefficient operation might be too far-gone to work as intended. If this is the case, you might want to consider replacing it with a system that can handle your cooling needs and start fresh.
The Problems with Neglect
Neglect is such a complicated problem because it can exist in many different forms. Perhaps your system has components that are ground down from lack of lubrication, or maybe there’s a part that’s been loose and banging against your compressor for years, causing it to get knocked off-center. These kinds of problems take years to develop and might not be easily noticeable from a homeowner’s perspective.
Three Tips for Avoiding Neglect
If you’re looking to avoid the insidious problem of neglect, then here are some tips to follow. If you have any additional questions, make sure you call our team for support.
- Invest in air conditioning maintenance on a routine basis. This service will keep your system in great condition for as long as possible.
- Call for repairs at the first sign of a problem or higher energy bills. The earlier a problem is fixed, the less likely it is to get worse and cause more issues.
- Change your air filter and pay attention to your system. The more attention you pay to your air conditioner, the less likely it is to fall into disrepair.
D’Spain Sales & Service can help! Call our team of professionals today.