The unofficial end of summer usually arrives with Labor Day, and while Bandera, TX likely has some warm weather still to come, the cool temperatures of fall will be here very quickly. The holiday weekend makes a great easy reminder to take a close look at your heating system and start to prepare it for the coming winter.
It may seem absurd to start worrying about your heating system now, especially if temperatures are still high. But they can turn cold without warning in the coming weeks and months, and preparing your heater now gives you the luxury of time. It lets you plan for repairs and upgrades at leisure, and spot the signs of trouble when there’s still room in your schedule to get them addressed. Otherwise, you run the risk of suffering a breakdown right when you need your heater the most, and scrambling to get it corrected while your home becomes a deep freeze.
Steps to Take
Getting your heater ready involves a number of steps, most of which you can conduct yourself in just a few hours. They include the following:
- Clear any blockages around vents or exhaust pipes to your heater, and set a clear space of at least two feet around your heater, free of any objects.
- Change the filters in your system and stock up on new filters so that you can periodically replace them throughout the winter.
- Schedule a maintenance session with a trained technician to maximize efficiency and spot any potential problems before they interfere with your heater’s ability to function.
- Check your thermostat and reprogram it for heating rather than cooling.
- Use weather stripping to seal any cracks around the doors and windows in your home.
Trust the pros at D’Spain to help you get your heater ready for the winter!