Most homes in the Boerne, TX area use forced-air furnaces, which rely on gas or electricity to heat the air. They’re simple and effective systems, but if gas is used, there’s an inherent threat of carbon monoxide in the event that something goes wrong. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless gas that can cause serious health problems for your family. Modern furnaces have automatic shut-off switches designed to cut the flow of gas in the event of a problem, but you still need to be aware of the potential danger and know what to do to protect your family.
How It Leaks
Carbon monoxide can leak into your home via a crack in the heat exchanger, a clogged venting pipe, fissures in the gas line itself, or a host of other issues. Again, modern heating systems usually have automatic shut-off systems in place so that the heat is turned off the moment there’s a problem. That will protect your home from danger, though you still won’t be able to run the heater until the issue is resolved.
Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
You can spot the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning in humans and pets by watching for symptoms: nausea, fatigue, dizziness and fainting spells, among others. When that happens, it is important to get them out of the home and into fresh air, and get them medical attention if need be.
In addition to knowing what to look for, you should plan to install a carbon monoxide detector in every bedroom in your home, as well as a unit in the vicinity of your furnace. That gives you an extra line of protection and will alert you to the problem immediately before it becomes dangerous.
If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak in your furnace, turn it off and call in the professionals at D’Spain to get it fixed!